Friday 10 April 2009

smokin'

erm.... it's the only pic I've got with a fag in it, OK?

Peter Ashley, over on Unmitigated England, has put out a call for literary references to cigarette brands. It's the sort of thing that had me racking my brains, uselessly as it turned out, as, while I'm sure I've seen loads, none came to mind.

(What does racking brains involve? -I've racked home-made wine many times, siphoning off the clear stuff and leaving the gunk in the bottom of the demijohn. Rightly or wrongly, this is the image I get in my mind when I see a reference to racking of brains. Then I feel a bit queasy and have to lie down...)

I'm re-reading Margery Allingham's Campion novels at the moment, and stumbled upon this, in The Beckoning Lady. Appropriately enough, a little detective work is required. Can you identify the brands alluded to? -I've got an idea for the first one, but I'm all at sea over the others. Clue: published 1955

"...I wonder if I could trouble you for a cigarette, Mr. Campion?"
The thin man produced his case gravely and offered it to him. "Sailors," he said. "Or I have some Laymans."
South was grinning, but he was disappointed. "Thank you very much," he said helping himself. "I usually smoke Blue Zephyrs," he added shamelessly.
"Then you do yourself proud," murmured Mr. Campion, still very seriously.


7 comments:

  1. My mind (without wine) added a w so I see racked brains as wrack... though that's getting close to an image of seaweed on a wreck... oh dear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it means shaking them about, like trying to get the last grains of rice from an 'easy pour' packet. My brains have days like that.

    Players navy cut
    Churchmans

    I did look on Google and you were 6th in the search for "blue Zephyrs"

    In 1933 in "No Nice Girl Swears", Alice-Leone Moats advises against smoking on the dance floor for either men or women as a measure of safety "... for it is too simple to ignite your partner(don't misunderstand) or set a diaphanous dress ablaze"

    I never got past the vomiting stage myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to wreck my brain quite regularly, Caroline, though with hindsight it didn't really produce any great clarity. Maybe "racking" is a reference to the torture instrument, extracting information?

    Methoughts I saw a thousand fearful wracks,
    A thousand men that fishes gnawed upon,
    Wedges of gold, great anchors, heaps of pearl,
    Inestimable stones, unvalued jewels,
    All scattered in the bottom of the sea.

    Thank you, Anji. I wondered if it may have been Capstan, but I think you have it, and Churchmans was well thought of. Totally lost with Blue Zephyr.

    I had to work very hard to get past the vomiting stage. Such misapplied effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to google (so it must be right!) you just quoted some Shakespeare from Richard III... not one I've read... or been exposed to in any way... is it all as good as this verse?

    ReplyDelete
  5. IS this any help?

    http://users.ap.net/~burntofferings/packszephyr.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's plenty of good stuff in Richard II, Caroline. A fair amount of biffing too, of course.

    Thank you! That must be it. I was expecting something more tangential. Did you ever encounter Gauloises Blue Way? -I used to get them because I liked the pictures on the packets

    http://www.cigarettespedia.com/index.php/Gauloises_Blue_Way_(Filtre)_KS-20-H_-_France

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why you liked the packet!

    I've always had a bit of a problem with cigarette smoke so not one of my vices...

    ReplyDelete