Sunday 15 March 2009

punk



So it was Red Nose Day, when people do funny things for charity. Katie's school had a 'dress in red and white' option for the day, so K put on white clothes and sprayed her hair white. White-ish, anyway. For red, she took along Munkeh, whom you may see here in his uber-Bristolian "Gert Lush" T-shirt.



She also did a sponsored animation, which you may find here

That evening, I met up with Sarah and we went round to the local primary school for a benefit gig. On the way we passed a couple locked in an embrace, though the woman lowered her thigh slightly from his waist as we passed.

"Gosh!" I said.

"Not very Westbury Park," Sarah commented.

The band were playing feelgood music. A few people were sort of half-dancing along to it, and a very enthusiastic woman was positively leaping and hopping, in a fairly large space all of her own. Maybe all gigs have someone like that at them. I remember at folk clubs there would always be a woman in a very long skirt who would do a sort-0f-Highland Fling if the band did a quicktime number. And this seemed to hold true whatever the folk club.

People were supposed to dress up as their favourite song. Not many had. I had a chat with Jack, who was dressed as Pierrot.

"Guess," he said.

"Tears of a clown?" I hazarded.

He nodded lugubriously.

Sue was rather stylishly dressed in black silk oriental pyjamas with one of those big Chinese straw hats.

"It's a Dead Kennedys song," she said.

"Ha, Holiday in Cambodia" I said. No flies on me (though I always thought that American punk bands were a bit dull, personally...)

We discussed our children and how they are getting on at school. Very punk.

I left early and wandered past the church. On the road outside were three hulking great lorries, and a generator belting along. There were floodlights everywhere. They were filming Songs Of Praise. I think the floodlights were there to simulate sunlight through the stained glass windows.

Some walkers paused to exchange Goodnights.

"They were at it till 10:30 last night" said one of them disapprovingly.

Goodness, things have evidently changed a bit since I appeared on Songs of Praise. This was back in 1967 or so, and my choir, All Saints Llanfrechfa, joined in with the throng in the school hall at Croesyceliog Grammar School for the occasion. It was filmed in real time, in one go. I think the cameraman had to crank a little handle at the side of the camera as he trundled up and down.

And now it's Anglican Hollywood. I wonder if the vicar has a retinue? -I'm not sure what a retinue is or does, but I gather that it is an essential accessory for a star.

I walked on home.

And the brass band played on and "Praise, my soul, the King of Heaven" belted out over the quiet suburb.




8 comments:

  1. Which song were you?

    I loved Katie's animation, I miss seing her drawings on her blog (hint, hint).

    Do you mean retainer? If it took that long he probably needed one to keep him there. Do you think that the congregation had to remember exactly what they were wearing and where they were sitting? Good job you had your camara with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember... I do recall a massed choir singing event at Tintern Abbey, though. We did an anthem which went like "The valleys are so rich with corn that they laugh and sing. That they laugh and sing. That they laugh and sing." It was great fun and we all looked triffically angelic. You wouldn't have thought that several of my fellow choristers had been busily shoplifting in the gift shop. Perhaps God forgave them.

    I shall pass on the hint :-)

    I think that a retinue is the group of followers and hangers-on that Slebs have. It's so that everyone knows they're a Sleb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaite's animation was fun and I love Munkeh's Christmas hairdo!

    On the now extraordinary rare occasions that I go dancing I'm the enthusiastic one... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, love Munkeh's hairdo and his t-shirt. Our Murnkie is going to be wanting the same now.
    When I had my 10 seconds of fame on SoP we definitely had a full rehearsal with the whole congregation on day 1 and the real thing on day 2. I think they told us to wear the same clothes, but I was in school uniform so not really paying attention. That would be about 1974. I was in the 6th form choir (under false pretences, I have a voice like Eyore) and someone's dad managed to get halfway decent photo of me from the tv. Remember the days before even video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was one occasion when I was the enthusiastic one, Caroline; at the Mean Fiddler in Harlesden there was a post-gig disco and they were playing loads of good punk, so I did some enthusiastic pogoing. The music demanded it, you know how it is. Sadly I was the only one; everyone else was doing the half-baked swaying bovine swaying thing that people seem to tend to do, and after the third time of landing on someone's toes and getting frosty looks I gave up.

    It was a case of blink and you'd miss it for me, Liz; I appeared fleetingly in the corner of the screen. So there are definitely no photos of me in cassock and surplice. Which may be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Punk definitely demands pogoing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your rock'n'roll life Dru ;-)

    Like K's animation :-)

    I've seen all those Facebook quizes you've been practicising on...name another Dead Kennedys song!! (I can't. Though Holidays in Cambodia was certainly quite a Juke Box classic in Leeds when I were oop there in t'early 80s)

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I can name Nazi Punks Fuck Off, because I had it, in a clear plastic cover with crossed-out swastika on it. But I didn't really like it. Well, no, I didn't like it at all. Jello sounds too up-himself by far when he's shouting at the audience, and they just aren't musical at all. I mean, even punk needs something you can hum along to. Doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete