Thursday 22 January 2009

face to face


Here's J's birthday party. Two of her daughters were there through the magic of Skype. So they had to supply their own slices of cake, as they're down in the far South West.

When I first had a place of my own (room in shared flat in Portsmouth, £7 a week) there was no phone in the house; there were phone boxes a few hundred yards in either direction, though. And hardly any of my friends had phones, so when I went off to sea I wrote letters and so did they. Once, the Christmas post missed me in Den Helder and chased me around the North Sea for a while, finally catching up with me in Aberdeen in April.

I'm slowly getting up to speed with social networking sites. I've recently reconnected with a bunch of chaps I worked with on Karen Bravo, a seismic survey ship, when I first ran away to sea. It's nice catching up with them again, and a feeling akin to re-entering the crew mess after being on leave for a few weeks; a casual but friendly greeting and an exchange of jokey pleasantries. But in this case the gap has been over twenty five years.

of course there were only black and white photographs in those days


There's a reunion being planned in the spring, so...

Meantime, as my Facebook friends list increases, I have started seeing postings on those friends' pages from people in my family whom I no longer have any contact with. In the welsh chapel sense, that is. (Old welsh joke; every village has to have two chapels; the one you go to, and the one you don't go to). So they and I comment without acknowledging each other. Funny business. I guess that in netiquette, blanking people is as unremarkable as the Big Casual.

3 comments:

  1. Virtual birthday parties? At least you don't have to worry about having enough glasses and space for everyone.

    My parents didn't have a phone till they moved off the farm in '83. I don't think my mum could imagine doing without one now. I don't think she'll be getting a mobile though.

    I recently gave English lessons to a young man who was waiting for a place on an oilship off the coast of Africa. He couldn't wait to get back into the swing of it all. He had a year off - he got home on leave to find his wife and children were gone.

    The other thing that dates the photo is the fag in the mouth while working. May I ask, do they know that you are Dru now?

    I got put off these sites because the first person I 'bumped into' on friends reunited was some one who was really nasty to me at school. Her life consisted of ski, ski, divorce, ski, ski divorce, jolly hocky sticks, etc. The second was bossy and wanted to know why I hadn't answered her email. I left, which is not easy, you have to ask permission - just like being at school

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Anji on this - I made the mistake of signing up on friends reunited once and only got messages from the people I'd rather not hear from... so I've avoided facebook so far as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dru are your shipmates assembling a small surface to air missile in this picture? ;-)

    ReplyDelete