Wednesday 11 February 2009

time out

Goodness, what fun and games we've been having in Brissle. We had a bit of snow last week, the first time in ages that it's happened here. So we made the most of it; some people gamely walked for miles through the snow to get to work, while the rest skived off and had fun. The hillier parts of Bristol became extremely slippery and were closed to traffic, which meant that we could walk in the road, and very nice it was too, ...

...although plenty of drivers ignored the notices. They were almost certainly Very Important People Going Somewhere Vital, because they looked so serious and stern in a "get out of my way, foolish pedestrian" sort of way.



..here's one, being overtaken by some cyclists...

...and, since the schools were closed, this is what we got up to...

Oh well, all good things come to an end. The snow turned to slush, then melted away; I dug out the Trav, and started it up... the electrics misbehaved something chronic, until I'd given it a good spraying with WD40 and a good long run.


..and look! Snowdrops! With snow!


...so there we are. What I Did On My Holidays.




8 comments:

  1. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the snow. The bonnets are lovely in the sledging picture.

    Your poor car - it's amazing what a spot of WD40 can do.

    I only managed 3 snowdrops and a few flakes of snow for 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun wasn't it!

    What are the chances of more do you think?

    Though I suppose I should spare a thought for one of my nephews who broke his collar bone sledging... ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. > What are the chances of more do you think?

    None whatsoever as the ship full of salt from Spain has arrived and naturally we won't need it after all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That or the ship will be instantly frozen in.... okay I know no more is more likely...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you ever get real snow where you are, Anji?

    There was noticeably more (and more persistent) snow where we live up on the Bristol Downs, which is a whole 90 metres above sea level, than there was in the city centre... my heart was in my mouth a couple of times when Katie was heading for trees or fences, Caroline. Fortunately we both remained undamaged. Apart from cold, soggy feet, of course.

    A ship full of salt? Crikey! Still, going by how cold it is this morning, it may come in useful yet, Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we arrived in 1985 there was a lot of snow. Then in '87 and '91, the years that the boys were born there was quite a lot of snow in February - I was worried about getting to the hospital on time. We have had a lot of snow again once the 90s but there was nothing to remind me of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having had some dealings with Joseph Lucas in my youth, I found that sometimes a judicious spot of clear silicone sealer could do wonders at keeping moisture out...

    I love the amber snow in the streetlight! I have one from years ago with 4 or 5 different kinds of lights showing their different colors from a power plant in the snow- light is a truly amazing thing!

    I usually have flowers that are silly enough to start showing themselves about now and a tree that has budded and had it's leaves frozen of as well. I hope your flowers survive!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it would take a lorryload of silicne, Alan... the HT circuit wasn't too bad; slight hiccuping in the ignition; but I think the damp had penetrated the further outposts of the loom. Last time I'd had probs with an indicator, I found that it'd filled up with water...

    What's odd about the night shot is that it doesn't *seem* so amber when you're actually out in it.

    At last the cold snap is over!

    ReplyDelete