Tuesday 7 July 2009

plane daft

waiting for an aeroplane

Here's an easy way to have an adventure.

I squint at diary to confirm the arrival time of the aeroplane that is carrying Brendagh back from Turkey. 7:40. Head off early because I'm neurotic about being late for things.

Heading out of town on the A38, admiring all the weather that's happening over the Mendips ahead of me. There are great glowering storm clouds, and a huge cleft into the upper sky, where there are massive mounds of sunlit fluffy white clouds, like a turbocharged Mister Whippy machine gone berserk.

So I park up in a field near the runway and watch the sky, and the occasional aeroplane.



And I check my mobile for the time, and to make sure Brendagh hasn't texted me to let me know that she's got through baggage collecting.

7:40 comes and goes.

I read some poetry. I write stuff on my little laptop. Then the battery runs low and it goes into hibernation.

There is a ferocious downpour, and dog walkers are running for their cars. I photograph them from the comfort of my own car. Then the windows all steam up.

More time passes, in the way it tends to do.

I drive up to the "ten minutes free" car park at the airport, to see if there has been a delay. I check the Arrivals messageboard.

Hmmm, none of tjhose places sound very Turkish. In particular, no mention of Dalaman, the Turkish airport in question.

I get out my diary and squint rather more closely.

Aha. The flight is due in tomorrow morning at 7:40.



how long have you been waiting?

8 comments:

  1. "Mister Whippy" may need a bit of translation.

    Ten minutes free parking, we don't get ten seconds!

    Mine was a traveller held together by dry rot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you still there waiting? laptop car battery charger thingy? thermos amd cheese sarnies? I blame the squinting or technology or something

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you lost your glasses again? Rob likes to be early for everything - he hasn't quite managed 24 hours before. Lovely pictures anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a relief that such things happen to you, too. I once drove from Plymouth to Exeter for a meeting that didn't exist. My trip to Bridgwater today was almost on a wing and a prayer.

    Still, it makes for an interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!!! Well, take more photos, as that's right by my mum's house!! :P

    Phew! Glad it's not just me that does stuff like that.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you didn't have such a long wait this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got me worried now, Caroline; Mister Whippy as the counterpart to Miss Whiplash? I was thinking of those ice cream vans that dispense light- fluffy ice cream, as opposed to the old fashioned ones we used to get Oop North, with solid creamy ice cream and a bloke ringing a handbell out of the window.

    Tempting though the prospect was, Nicky, I came home...

    ...and I'm equally glad that I am not alone in goofing.

    Nope, plane was bang on time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While waiting for the opportunity to shop in a bigger town for a better camera, my recent urinary crisis required me to buy a disposable Kodak digital to take a few disposable diagnostic photos, leaving most of the roll for choicer shots. Three out of the keepers were of Mister Whippy cloudscapes. They so make up for ice cream's absence from my diet.

    ReplyDelete