Wednesday, 22 July 2009

cycling


Bristol is coming to terms with being a Cycling City, with varying degrees of success. Over on the City Council website there is a competition called Turning Point, in which you are invited to describe a life-changing moment, preferably bicycle-related, in 50 words or less. I mention it and provide the link in case you fancy entering and maybe winning that £250 voucher for bike stuff.

I thought long and hard (well, two minutes and a sip of tea). But cycling has been a part of my life ever since my father sneakily let go all those years ago and I was launched.... into a Lancashire gorse bush. So my life-changing experiences are not particularly bike related. So here is my entry; the occasion was memorable, anyway, ascending from Bantry Bay in Ireland

All day we'd sheltered in our tent waiting for the rain to stop. It didn't. We packed up, pushed our soggy bikes up the long steep road over the coastal mountains, and emerged into sunshine with an endless downhill before us. If it's raining where you are, just keep going.