Saturday 2 August 2008

unforgiving minutes


If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!


...unless you're a woman, of course.

We're a bit short on unforgiving minutes at Schloss Marland. I am working hard at getting the illustrations finished for The Bristol Downs: A Wildlife Year, while trying to fit in more adventurous stuff as K is on hols now.

Well, we did go swimming at Warleigh, near Bath. We arrived in the evening just as everyone else was leaving, on what must have been the hottest day of the year so far. So it was nice and warm, even for me.


Catherine, at Broadcast Books, suggested the other day that I might like to exhibit some of my pictures at the book stall during Bristol Harbour Festival. So I had a frantic time finding timber and building display stands and getting frames and framing up and... realising that I'd
not really taken seriously the exhibiting of my pics before now. So it was about time.

And we got down there, to the Boathouse on Phoenix Wharf, yesterday evening, and set up the pics. Here they are...


...I could have done more but I ran out of frames. Maybe better go to IKEA.

The Boathouse is a scout and guide hut. It's a really old, wooden building, with the boats and workshop on the lower floor and this surprisingly light space reached by external steps. The window looks across the harbour to the amphitheatre where, a chap drinking a cup of tea explained, someone called Buoyancy is playing on Saturday. I think he meant Beyonce. But I like the sound of Buoyancy, especially for a Harbour Festival.

2 comments:

  1. I think you must be having better weather than we are. If the sun is shining when the tide is in it's really windy.

    I hope that lots of people admired your pictures. The room in the roof has given me an idea for a post

    I've been out of the country so long I don't even know how Beyonce is pronounced...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was enough sun to make the festival a good one, Anji. Though it was far too crowded for my liking. Apart from in the Boathouse, where it was ...fairly quiet. Some people said nice things about my pictures, anyway. And I sold one.

    ReplyDelete