Friday, 18 July 2008

shoo fly, don't bother me

If you were to describe the things on your to-do-urgently list as alligators, up to what corporeal level would you describe your level of immersion in them?

My arse

What is it that numerically exceeds your ability to shake a hairy stick at?

Stuff

(What is a hairy stick anyway? Crikey)



The gear hub on my new bicycle got stuck in top gear the other day. Took the wheel off, gave it a Serious Looking At, debated whether to start dismantling it, decided that now is not the time to start learning about the inner workings of the Shimano Nexus 7 gear cluster, wondered if this was a bit of a cop-out, and finally mustered quantities of cardboard and parcel tape, and packaged it up and sent it off to York, whence it came originally, as it is still covered by the warranty.

Fortunately I still have the new old bike, which came off Freecycle and which I like very much, although it still has lots of tweaking to do on it. Look, here it is. It's old and Dutch.


And then there's the flies.

I found that I'd got maggots in the compost bin last week, when I noticed them wiggling furiously in every direction away from the bin on the kitchen floor. I swept them up, but suspected that some had already got under places that I couldn't get to. So I waited.

Two days ago there were loads of emerald green flies in the kitchen. I hunted them down with a rolled-up newspaper and splatted them.
Same story yesterday too.
Hopefully they'll stop hatching out soon, and then I can wash the windows. Like, yeurk.