Monday 6 July 2020

summer storms


Here's some foxes on Pickle Hill in the Vale of Pewsey. Artisitic licence was involved; the summit of the hill is bald except for the trig point, but there you go. This pic was for a friend who likes foxes. That's her boat down there.

I'm moored up in the Vale now, and it is lush in the 'lush places' sense as well as the Bristolian sense. I've been out sketching trees; they're very handy for life drawing exercises, because they don't need to take breaks. Though these last few days they hardly ever keep still. The gale that blew along the Vale yesterday had the grass and trees rolling like breakers at sea, and it was lively and all rather beautiful.

Played merry heck with the poor hireboats that have begun venturing out, though. They were being blown all over the place. This is the sort of weather for tying up and battening down.




5 comments:

  1. I love your work! Your twitter posts remind me of the K & A canal. I used to live in Calne and loved walking the stretch around Devizes and occasionally Bradford on Avon. I have a thing for narrow boats and always fancied living on one. I'm in mid wales now, so a long way from canals. I experience them vicariously through your posts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I met my artist hero David Inshaw in Devizes a while ago, and he really likes walking the canal too, as is evident from his paintings.... TBH I sometimes pine for the welsh mountains, but I don't like leaving my boat on its own for long

      Delete
    2. What lovely connections...grew up in Devizes and met you, Dry, because of those connections...living on the west coast of Wales

      Delete
  2. A good drawing exercise..trees with leaves are not always that easy to draw so it's good to practice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried drawing a relatively bare oak yesterday, which was much more challenging! Maybe either totally bare or totally leafy trees are the easier things to do; just how to do them well is the prob!

      Delete