Wednesday 22 February 2012

exit pursued by crows


exit pursued by crows, originally uploaded by Dru Marland.

Oh no! Got an e-mail from Richard Jones at Tangent Books, asking if I had a picture for Geraldine's nature column in the next Bristol Review of Books. And realised that I'd completely forgotten about it. 

So this was yesterday's picture. 

I quite like the sky, layered up with gouache because it was a bit thin with Cotman indigo. Maybe I'll deepen the shadows on the woman, I'm still experimenting with light; it probably shows....

9 comments:

  1. now what rhymes with toboggan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops - forgot to say how love how you've used those colours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen Ramona's work?
    http://ramonafelse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It reminds me of Good King Wenceslas. I like the blue, very wintry and cold

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure we can come up with loads of rhymes, Delia.... 'frog on' is only a half-rhyme, I suppose.
    Thank you for the link, Gwynneth; nice blog, duly bookmarked!
    Thanks, Anji. Two of my favourite paint colours in this pic; indigo and sepia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, what a nightmare. I hate it when I forget things such as this; it knots my stomach up.

    I really like the blues you have and the way you have worked the bridge in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I react horribly to brown envelopes, myself, Bella. With this, there was only the lack of inspiration for an ide for the picture, which was fortunately quite short. Thank you. I used masking fluid for the highlights and the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely picture. I like the contrast between the soft, mellow browns and the deep blues.

    ReplyDelete