Saturday, 8 May 2010

irresponsible, that's me


I have kept away from the radio as much as possible over the last day or so, as I found the endless speculations about what might happen next, while the election results were totted up, didn't really add anything to my day. It's like constantly opening the oven door while something's cooking. And then at the end of it you get a soggy souffle, collapsed at the bottom of the dish.

Talking of soggy souffles, there was some chap from the Labour Party on the radio this morning, who seemed aggrieved that a grateful nation had not voted entirely in his direction, but still hailed the results as a victory of sorts for Labour. All very odd. It reminded me of Henry Kissinger's opinions about Chile, just before he helped Pinochet into power:

"The issues are much too important for the Chilean voters to be left to decide for themselves."

"I don't see why we need to stand by and watch a country go communist due to the irresponsibility of its people."


++++

I popped into the Bristol Royal Infirmary yesterday, to visit a friend. As always, I had to wade through a miasma of cigarette smoke at the main entrance, chiefly coming from people skimpily attired in hospital issue nightwear. One chap was sitting in a wheelchair, because he only had one leg. Puffing away like fury, he was. Living on borrowed time, I guess.