Sunday 27 October 2024

watching out for redwings

It's been a few weeks since I last saw a swallow. I've been watching out for the redwings and fieldfares that come down from Scandinavia for the winter; I'd wondered if the easterly gales we had a week or so ago would blow some over, but I've seen nothing till this morning.

And now the hawthorns all along the towpath are busy with them. Very flighty, though; walk as quietly as I may, they'll dash off to a different tree, constantly on the move, like actors in a bedroom farce.

Goldfinches are busy in the ash tree and the umbillifers in the field across the water.

I'm trying to get on with the pictures for the calendar, in between boat maintenance work, getting Eve ready for the winter. And wandering out to admire the latest autumnal thing, of course.




1 comment:

  1. Redwings are on their way..we saw some near Bernera today, on Harris

    ReplyDelete