Saturday 24 June 2023

at Badger Bridge

In this picture I tried to capture the late-June microseason when I was drawing it; the hawthorn blossom recently blown all away in the breeze, the elderflowers in full bloom, the flag irises getting a bit ragged, and the meadowsweet starting to look frothy.

The location is above Jones' Mill nature reserve, just outside Pewsey. A nice spot, where I met a badger carrying a cub in her mouth on May morning a few years ago. That's why I call it Badger Bridge there, and added one to the picture. Also a whitethroat, and the magpie who starts the day by tapdancing on my boat roof. Ruddy magpies eh?

After a move to All Cannings, I was able to work outside, because the moorings there are wide and grassy. There was a reed warbler right opposite the boat, and I got a very good view of it, as you see; but it was early in the morning and a bit misty.



2 comments:

  1. Good company.
    I like the painting, you have caught the lushness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful illustration - love the colours!

    ReplyDelete