Friday 15 March 2013

bones in the walls


Up in Crickhowell for a few days, I took some of my cards around likely places. Like Book-ish, a fine indy bookshop in the town. Emma is busily getting ready to open a second, more child-focused shop in Abergavenny, too.

In Abergavenny, I went to the Tithe Barn and had a nice talk with the woman on the counter (whose name I unfortunately forgot. Sorry.) about Partrishow, which is one of her favourite places too.



 She said that when she was very small, her aunt told her that, in the olden days (it's always the olden days in stories), when the priests died they were buried in the walls, and the bones kept showing through however often they painted the walls.


Mischievous aunt!

5 comments:

  1. Hats off to that auntie, and I hope it's one with a feather and a big big hat pin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant story. It sounds as if you get as chatty as me when out and about. It is a fun thing to do and gives more weight to the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the kind of thing my Auntie would tell me - I remember the sleepless nights well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pro-dig-i-ous, that hat, Deb. (In a Valleys accent, cos she was from Ebbw Vale)
    It's very easy to get in to conversations in Wales, Bella- a friendly lot, they are!
    Yes, Anji; I was very credulous when I was young too. Have you forgiven her?

    ReplyDelete