Monday 1 November 2010

samhain


I was going to go deep into the Forest of Dean for the night, but got sidetracked and ended up exploring the Downs just before dawn. On Samhain you might fear to meet the Wild Hunt, but I was more concerned about encountering people with dodgy sexual appetites.

There was a fox, and a lone student swigging from a bottle as he wobbled back to Halls, and a homegoing couple swaying from excess of nightclub.

And then a vic of geese flew over, silent and ghostly in the light of the city.

I was going to write more about this stuff but Scrabble got in the way


4 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd go anywhere too deserted on my own, day or night. Our cosy little beach used to be the place to go if you were looking for 'different' partners. The illegally parked camping car people must have had some shocks in the night

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean; I was a bit reckless, not least because I had lots of expensive camera gear with me too. But I was carrying something to defend myself with...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that word "Samhain", not sure its allowed in scrabble though. I'll use it in my next post. Do be careful on your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must always look out for the Green Man, Dru. Especially if you've got lots of expensive camera gear with you. I hope it didn't rain, anyway.

    ReplyDelete